Q: My Daughters and I have been on a vegan, wheat, glutten, sugar(even fruit) and dairy free diet for just 2 days so far, not 100% Raw but very close. however today we all experience really bad bloating and visiting the rest room too often. any tips on how to ease this discomfort?
A: Galina writes, While 100% raw food diet can be healthy; the transition from cooked diet to almost 100% raw should be gradual to avoid the symptoms of bloating and diarrhea. It is best to start with 1 raw meal a day at lunch time (when your digestion at its best). Hot summer months are the best time to eat 100% raw foods diet.
Here are 5 tips to help you and your daughters with problem of “bad bloating” and diarrhea while eating 100% raw:
1. Drink hot herbal tea (called “Digest Easy”) 15 –20 minutes before meals.
It will increase your body temperature and improve your digestion.
2. Avoid drinking cold drinks and eating cold foods directly from refrigerator.
Raw foods, juices and drinks must be consumed at room temperature.
3. After a meal chew 1 teaspoon of raw fennel seeds for at least 30 seconds.
It will prevent abdominal bloating.
4. Avoid eating raw foods when weather is cold, rainy and dry.
Because raw foods are cold by its nature it can trigger food cravings, loss of energy and low body temperature (feeling of being constantly cold).
5. Use a food blender for raw soups, drinks and shakes.
I like to add warming spices such as coriander, ginger, and cayenne pepper to improve assimilation of nutrients and promote good digestion.
P.S. “Digest Easy” tea is available for purchase from KYG. Please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org if interested.