WARNING for ALL PEOPLE! And NOT just confirmed Celiac patients- BEWARE!
Yes, my warning above is a cry! That’s how I feel when I see patients who suffer for years from various debilitating health problems of “unknown” origin.
It can take decades before a person with Celiac disease will get the right diagnosis. Doctors often attribute symptoms of diarrhea, abdominal pain, anemia, dermatitis, fatigue and joint pain to other diseases.
Also, Celiac disease often confused with IBS (irritable bowel syndrome), which can involve similar symptoms of abdominal pain, diarrhea, gas and bloating. The way I see it, it’s a true Celiac disease epidemic out there. And it’s not only me.
According Dr. Alessio Fasano, famed Celiac researcher and director of University of Maryland School of Medicine Center for Celiac Research: “The projected number of people in the United State with Celiac disease could be as high as 3 million, yet only a small fraction of these cases has been correctly diagnosed and treated”.
Another colleague of mine, R. Begun, MS RD LDN, states:”A bigger portion of the population experiences gluten sensitivity to varying degrees. Estimates are that as much 20 million Americans, may be gluten sensitive.” (1)
Gluten sensitivity often goes undiagnosed because some people do not have intestinal damage and don’t have circulating antibodies (tTG & EMA) as seen in confirmed Celiac patients.
However, these undiagnosed people can still experience bloating, abdominal pain and diarrhea.This condition is called Non-Celiac Gluten Sensitivity (NCGS).
Celiac Healing System™
It is a comprehensive program that will successfully eliminate your Celiac and NCGS related symptoms.The program has four, EASY to follow steps:
- IDENTIFY and REMOVE ALL THE CAUSES OF THE DISEASE. Parasites and Candida should be ruled out first. Stool culture should be performed to identify possible bacteria/parasite/fungal infestation. Foods that may cause allergies and/or sensitivities (resulting in diarrhea) should be identified and removed. This way your gut is prepared for healing.
- STOP INTESTINAL INFLAMMATION. I practice PRECISION NUTRITION. Therefore, only therapeutic foods and pharmaceutical grade supplements are used to achieve ACCELERATED GUT HEALING.
- RESTORE INTESTINAL FLORA. Celiac Healing System™ will completely restore your intestinal flora, strengthen your immunity and improve absorption of nutrients necessary for healing. For example, people with Celiac are usually deficient in vitamin K, good intestinal flora MUST be present for normal vitamin K production.
- IMPROVE DIGESTION and ABSORPTION OF FOODS. Digestive enzymes are foundation of healthy digestion and food absorption. I really like pancreatic enzyme supplementation to aid food digestion and absorption. Each pancreatic enzyme capsule should contain:
- lipase (17,500 USP Units) – aids in breaking down lipids (fats).
- protease (110,000 USP Units) – aids in breaking down proteins.
- amylase (120,000 USP Units) – aids in breaking down amylase (starch).
For best results, one to two pancreatic enzyme capsules should be taken with each meal.
According to scientific studies conducted in Norway and UK, the “Elemental Diet is a therapeutic option that can provide long-term clinical improvement of this difficult condition”, refractory celiac disease.(2)
As described in my Celiac Healing System™ just two weeks of such elemental diet designed specifically for your condition. This diet in combination with some specifically selected nutrients (e.g.: iron, magnesium, calcium, vitamins A,B,C,D,K, E, folic acid, etc.) taken in a concentrated food form not only will promote faster intestinal healing, but also will strengthen your immune system, and renew your whole body.
Remember to ELIMINATE DIET and LIFESTYLE RISK FACTORS, which can trigger flare-up. Examples of such high-risk foods and conditions include gluten containing foods, artificial sweeteners, alcohol, vegetable oils (corn, canola), dairy, lack of sleep, emotional stress, etc.
WARNING: Celiac patients should be aware of possible interactions of pancreatic enzymes with Orlistat, prescription medication used to treat obesity. Orlistat blocks the activity of enzyme lipase.
When you have celiac disease, bread is not your friend.
Celiac Disease (also known as non-tropical sprue and gluten sensitive enteropathy) is an autoimmune condition when a person is unable to digest foods containing gluten (the protein portion of wheat, spelt, kamut, oats, rye, and barley). In time, this reaction destroys the villi, tiny hair-like projections that line the small intestine. When villi are damaged, a body is unable to absorb nutrients causing malabsorption of calcium, vitamin D, iron, folic acid and other nutrients, regardless of how much food and calories you consume. Celiac disease (CD) can be managed by following a gluten-free diet.
Non-Celiac Gluten Sensitivity (NCGS) is a condition when people can experience bloating, gas and diarrhea after eating gluten-containing foods but they don’t have the diagnosis of celiac disease. People with NCGS live their life undiagnosed because there is no damage to the small intestine according to standard tests for Celiac disease.
Celiac disease is caused by an abnormal reaction of your immune system to the protein gluten. When a person with a Celiac disease eats gluten containing foods, his/her immune system perceives it as a foreign invader, which must be eliminated. The immune system releases antibodies, which causes inflammation and damage to the intestinal lining thereby diminishing its ability to digest and absorb foods. Untreated Celiac disease patients can end up with cancer (intestinal lymphoma). The only effective treatment for celiac disease if to eat gluten-free diet now and forever.
- Diarrhea, weight loss
- Lactose intolerance
- Anemia, abdominal pain
- Steatorrhea (fatty stools that float)
- Joint pain, muscle cramps
- Fatigue, depression
- Arthritis, fibromyalgia
- Schizophrenia, neurological problems
- Dermatitis herpetiformis
- Stunted growth (in children)
- Bone disease (osteoporosis)
- Vitamin A, D, E, K, deficiencies
Published research from Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, Federico University of Naples, Italy identified “a significant correlation between Celiac disease and chronic fatigue syndrome. In Celiac, fatigue is a common finding, which ameliorates with the gluten-free diet.”
The following tests are used to confirm celiac disease:
- Blood test for IgG and IgA antibodies (reacting to gliadin)
- Immunoglobulin A anti-transglutaminase antibodies; if elevated,
- EMA (antiendomusial antibodies) test should follow; if EMA comes back positive,
- An intestinal biopsy is recommended to confirm small intestine villi damage.
- Also, a lactose breath test (to confirm lactose intolerance) and ELISA blood test (to identify food allergy/sensitivity) are useful diagnostic tools for celiac patients.
- ELISA blood test screens for antibodies to gluten plus other food substances. Both celiac patients and gluten intolerance patients test positive for gluten antibodies but the difference is that celiac patients have small intestine damage, and gluten intolerance patients display no damage to small intestine.
- Parasites can be another hidden cause of celiac disease.
- Most patients with celiac disease have vitamin (A, D, E, K), mineral deficiencies (magnesium, iron), fat malabsorption and anemia. The lab assessment of the above nutrients should be done in order for proper and timely supplementation.
Wheat/Gluten Proteome Reactivity & Autoimmunity test is used to confirm NonCeliac Gluten Sensitivity. Cyrex Laboratories provides this cutting-edge testing for patients and healthcare professionals.
Lactose Intolerance in Celiac Disease
In addition to a prescribing a gluten-free diet, doctors should remember that the majority of celiac patients are lactose intolerant because their bodies are unable to manufacture the enzyme lactase, which breaks down lactose. So, every time a CD patient drinks milk or eats dairy products, he/she will get diarrhea, gas and bloating. Furthermore, according to recent studies casein protein in milk may also trigger autoimmune disorders. (3)
So, dairy products must also be avoided. By removing grains and dairy from the diet, you stop irritating the gut and allow your intestine to heal quickly.
Some patients with Celiac disease may continue to have symptoms of bloating and abdominal pain even after they stop eating gluten. These symptoms may be due to Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS), which must be addressed as well.
Avoid Gluten-Containing Grains: wheat, barley, rye, spelt, kamut and triticale ( a cross between wheat and rye)
Avoid the Following Foods, Products and Drinks; May Contain Gluten
Bran, farina, orzo, couscous, bulgur, matzo, semolina, seitan, udon, wheat germ, hydrolyzed wheat protein, malt vinegar (made from barley), malt/malt flavoring (made from barley), malted milk, communion wafers, croutons, breading, gravy, dextrin, non-dairy creamers, processed cheeses, dry roasted nuts, imitation seafood, caramel coloring, some condiments, dips, MSG, emulsifiers, stabilizers, modified food starch, baking powder, salad dressings, hydrolyzed vegetable protein, soy sauce, commercial soups, bouillon cubes, chocolate, ice cream, instant coffee, packaged rice mixes, ketchup, seasoning mixes, hot dogs, luncheon meats, chewing gum, and ovaltine.
Avoid grain derived alcohol: beer, vodka, ale, gin, whiskey. Avoid medications and dietary supplements that may contain gluten fillers. Read the ingredients list, and if not sure, ask the pharmacist.
Prevent Gluten Contamination at Home
When cooking at home, avoid cross contamination between gluten and non-gluten products by using separate cutting boards, bowls, toasters, and toaster oven.
People with refractory celiac disease may not respond to gluten-free diet; therefore, steroid medications and anti-inflammatory drugs are recommended by doctors to remedy severe cases of celiac disease.
Eat Organic, Gluten – Free, Whole Foods.
Stay away from gluten-free foods and snacks made with GMO ingredients: cornstarch, soy protein, soy milk, sugar and canola oil.
Avoid yogurts, non-dairy milk, ice creams and gluten-free baked foods that contain gums (xanthan gum, arabic gum and guar gum). You must know that these gums can irritate your gut and cause excess fermentation, gas and bloating.
At this time Celiac Healing System™
is available only to my patients.
You have 2 options:
Option #1: 30-Day Supervised Program
30-Day Supervised Program has six (6) personal one-on-one consultations that are strategically spread out through the duration of the Program. It’s being implemented by you in your home, but with my constant supervision and “hand holding”.
Your first consultation may last from 1 – 1.5 hours and includes comprehensive evaluation and analysis of your current condition and medical tests.
Your five follow up consultations may last from 45 minutes to 1 hour and includes thorough evaluation of your progress and special instructions regarding necessary adjustments and procedures.
This is a month long comprehensive health restoration and total body rejuvenation protocol designed to:
- Identify and eliminate the major root causes of your condition
- Significantly relieve your current, specific debilitating symptoms
- Detox your major organs/tissues and jump-start your body’s healing/recovery
- Restore all the body’s major organs and functions and improve your quality of life
- I will evaluate your medical tests and health history (must be submitted prior to your first appointment),You’ll get answers to all your current health questions.
- You’ll learn about possible adverse interactions between your diet, supplements and medications.
- Your whole health profile will be taken into account. You’ll find out which foods/supplements/treatments you should take – and more importantly, which to avoid. You’ll receive a list of recommended tests designed to uncover the underlying causes of your current condition by identifying specific debilitating pathogens, allergies etc.
- Upon my initial analysis (completed after your first appointment) you’ll receive your personalized Total Health Recovery Program™ addressing your specific health issues and conditions:
- Your Health Recovery Diet and Lifestyle recommendations created just for your condition with special instructions. As Hippocrates said, “Let food be thy medicine.”
- List of Healing Supplements and Foods specifically selected for your conditions,
- List of special Healing Therapies and Procedures you can do yourself in a privacy of your home plus other modalities done by different holistic practitioners.
- You’ll receive specific step-by-step protocol and “how-to” instructions to implement the Program, and will be set on your way for immediate start.
Important: To ensure successful and most efficient implementation of your personalized Total Health Recovery Program™ you must:
- (a) Submit all your current medical history and tests PRIOR to your first appointment,
- (b) Submit all your questions in writing via e-mail PRIOR to your follow-up appointments
This Program is a clear and proven path to your true healing and complete recovery.
Galina’s personal guidance will enable your fastest possible natural health restoration.
Option #2: 1-Hour Personal Consultation
During this consultation you will:
- Get the results of comprehensive evaluation of your current medical tests and health history (submitted PRIOR to your appointment). You’ll get answers to all your health questions.
- You’ll learn possible adverse interactions between your diet, supplements and medications (you might be shocked with the revelations).
- You’ll find out which foods/supplements/treatments you should take – and more importantly, which to avoid.
- You’ll receive a list of recommended tests designed to identify specific pathogens, allergies, etc.
- Upon initial analysis (completed after your appointment) you’ll receive your personalized Total Health Recovery Program™ detailing:
- Your Health Recovery Diet and Lifestyle recommendations created just for your condition with special instructions.
- List of Healing Supplements and Foods specifically selected for your conditions, List of special Healing Therapies and Procedures you can do yourself in a privacy of your home plus other complementary modalities done by different holistic practitioners.
- You’ll receive specific step-by-step protocol and “how-to” instructions to implement the Program. You will be set on your way for immediate start.
- Maura Keller The Gluten-Free Journey Today’s Dietitian January 2013 issue Vol.15 No. 2 P24 http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/010713p24.shtml
- Richard Willfred Olaussen et al Effect of Elemental Diet on Mucosal Immunopathology and Clinical Symptoms in Type 1 Refractory Celiac Disease, Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Sep 2005 Volume 3, Issue 9, Pages 875-885 http://www.cghjournal.org/article/S1542-3565%2805%2900295-8/abstract
- G. Kristjansson et al. Mucosal reactivity to cow’s milk protein in coeliac disease. Clin Exp Immunol 2007 Mar; 147(3): 449-455 http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1810502/