My son was begging me for many years to buy him a dog. My answer was always the same: “No. I cannot allow you to have a pet in my house”. Don’t get me wrong. I love dogs, and I know that a dog can be your best friend and a great companion. But I knew too well that contact with animals can be deadly for children younger than 5 years and people with weakened immune system like me (at the time I was sick with Ulcerative Colitis and was taking multiple medications including steroids). Here is why.
Animal can carry Salmonella bacteria and Parasites. Salmonella and Parasitic infections can cause diarrhea, stomach pain and fever. These infections can be transmitted from pets (dogs, lizards, snakes, turtles, baby chicks, birds) to people by following means:
- Via Kissing a Pet
- Touching animal’s poop while cleaning
- Contact with animals dander (from skin or flakes from hair)
How to Protect Yourself
- Wash your hands with running water and soap for 20 seconds after any contact with your pet.
- Do not kiss your pet (pet’s saliva can transmit pet’s infection to you).
- Do not allow your pet to sleep in your bed or eat from your plate.
- And the last resort. You can choose not to own a pet after all like I did.
Life is all about choices…
To all you pet lovers out there: please don’t hate me. I love animals too. I am just telling you as it is.
I wish You and Your family a Happy and Super Healthy New Year!